Director, Human Resources
NY-New York (Midtown)
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
As a Director, Human Resources, you are responsible for planning, developing and implementing all aspects of human resources to support our Digital and Sterling Publishing teams based out of our midtown New York office. You will partner with senior leaders to acquire and manage talent, drive performance and direct employee relations to achieve our business objectives and support our company’s growth plans. You provide strategic human resource direction which influences senior management on the growth, development and retention of our talent.
- Lead all HR processes, programs and policies, including but not limited to talent acquisition, succession planning, performance management, and employee relations while modeling a superior customer service focus. Build successful relationships across the organization and develop a detailed understanding of the business needs so that recommendations can be made that complements our organization.
- Develop successful sourcing strategies to strengthen the company’s ability to recruit and retain top talent, anticipating talent needs and partnering to ensure we have the best talent. Evaluate strategies on an ongoing basis and adjust according to market trends and effectiveness.
- Work with business partners to identify critical factors influencing staff turnover and engagement. Formulate plans and provide guidance to effectuate positive change.
- Oversee employee relations, providing support to management teams to ensure consistency and fairness in addressing company policy and procedures. Coach Managers on any performance issues and assists with resolutions, ensuring appropriate and timely corrective action.
- Manage the immigration process for Barnes & Noble company-wide and partner with internal Legal department and external immigration law firm.
- Oversee and manage facilities for the office. Ensure that the Facilities team is providing the highest level of customer service and support in resolving day-to-day problems and issues presented by employees and vendors, etc. Manage and design the work space to ensure that the floor plan provides the optimal use of space while providing teams the best workflow possible.
- Ensure excellence and consistency in the implementation of all programs in compliance with all applicable laws and policies.
- Develop HR programs for Digital and Sterling Publishing, providing direction to ensure employees are engaged, retained and invested in creating a positive workplace and a high level of employee morale and motivation. Set the strategy and define objectives ensuring milestone deliverables are met within timeframes outlined.
- Identify opportunities for training initiatives which will elevate the skill set of our current employees and foster growth opportunities within the company.
- Identify, develop and execute programs, policies and practices to ensure Barnes & Noble maintains a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Prepare and deliver performance reviews, provide actionable feedback and create development plans for direct reports, managing all levels of performance.
- Develop and monitor annual human resource budget ensuring that we are staying within plan.
- Collaborate with Human Resource teams throughout the company to identify best practices. Share knowledge and work together to create a world class human resource department.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of prior HR experience in roles of progressive and increasing responsibility with a thorough knowledge of employment law, recruitment and succession planning
- Proven analytical, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to build rapport and collaborate across the organization
- Ability to anticipate needs, challenges and potential issues and proactively develop solutions to meet the demands of our fast-paced, constantly changing business
- Hands-on leader, with the ability to see the big picture and the willingness to “roll up their sleeves” to get the job done
- Act with a sense of urgency and can reprioritize quickly and effectively, with an ultimate focus on results
- Strong business acumen, demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills to deliver appropriate solutions balancing employee needs and business considerations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact effectively at all levels of the business
Barnes & Noble is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, females, veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.