HR Business Partner, IT/Finance
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content.
We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
This role reports to the HR Director, but will operate independently to support the needs of an assigned home office population. The HRBP serves as the primary contact point for employees of our NY Office in all aspects of the Human Resources field. This role includes ownership of the full employee life cycle in regards to HR inquiries, On-Boarding, Employee Relations, Performance Management and System/Data up-dates.
This role will work collaboratively with team members and business leaders alike and serve as an advocate for all our employees. Balancing being able to execute at a tactical level while maintaining a broader understanding of HR and the impact of our work on the business. Ensure all activities are executed upon with the highest level of care and customer service.
HR Business Partner
• Own the employee life-cycle from on-boarding and orientation of new employees to conducting exit interviews and off-boarding of separating employees.
• Develop a deep and collaborative relationship within assigned population(s).
• Partner with managers on documentation and communication of HR policies and procedures.
• First level escalation of questions regarding payroll, benefits and general inquiries, liaise with the Benefits Department regarding FMLA and STD cases.
• Supports consistency through policy execution, documentation and by following procedures and standards.
• Various Human Resources projects, tasks or duties as needed or assigned. Support of other HRBP groups as needed or assigned.
Recruiting & On-Boarding
• Partner with hiring managers on recruitment needs to ensure that we hire top talent.
• Full-cycle recruiting for various positions and levels including writing job descriptions, posting, sourcing qualified candidates through ATS, interviewing/selection and interview scheduling.
• Responsible for recruitment of passive and active talent by sourcing via LinkedIn Recruiter, Indeed, Dice.com and other online job boards.
• Produce offer paperwork for all new hires including pre-hire reference checks and background checks.
• Handle new hire orientation for Employees, Temps and Interns.
• Process new hire paperwork and personnel files to ensure compliance with required documentation.
• Maintain data in PeopleSoft including data entry and reporting. HRIS – light reporting/analysis.
• Oversee all requisitions in ATS and follow up to obtain necessary approvals.
• Complete a monthly audit of ATS to ensure that all candidate documentation is in the system.
• Oversee activities and initiatives to support and engage employees within the New York office, including but not limited to: Take Your Child to Work Day, JP Morgan Corporate Chase Challenge, Flu Shots, Year-End/Holiday events, service award recognition program and other training events.
• Providing recommendations to maximize organizational engagement.
• Counsel managers on HR best-practices, including performance management.
• Assist/conduct investigations and resolve employee relations issues as arise - first line interventions versus more serious ER situations will work with the HR Director. Tasks to include but not limited to: conducting investigations, note keeping, legal review, and seeing through to resolution.
• Coach Home Office employees on Human Resource initiatives and company policies.
• Follow changes in employment laws and ensure company compliance with any relevant changes.
• Bachelor’s degree with minimum 4-6 years of HR experience.
• Prior experience in retail or hospitality preferred.
• Prior experience supporting an IT or Finance group preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of employment law, employee relations best-practices, presentation skills, and recruiting practices.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills as well as a customer service orientation.
• Strong attention to detail, organizational and time management skills, some project management experience.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality / discretion in all work place and HR matters and make well-informed decisions.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft a plus.
• PHR / SHRM-CP is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.