Manager, Consumer Insights
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
Barnes & Noble is seeking an experienced Customer Insights & Analytics Manager who will be responsible for delivering impactful insights across the business, competitors and market segments. The position is a highly collaborative and consultative role that will oversee all primary and secondary analytics and research. The ideal candidate will be familiar with a wide range of database marketing, data mining and marketing analytics approaches, with a proven ability to understand business objectives and context. Most importantly, this individual will need to regularly synthesize the data into actionable insights and recommendations.
While the role is primarily focused on delivering database marketing, analytics, and segmentation capabilities within the marketing organization, a successful candidate will be excited about the prospect of jumping into a number of projects working with the IT business intelligence (BI) team and merchandising planning teams. This person must be high-energy, have the ability to clearly communicate to senior level executives, and most importantly be passionately inquisitive.
This candidate will build and lead a team of two analysts.
- Using SQL, analyze qualitative and quantitative research data results, reporting and presenting findings, and making insightful and actionable recommendations
- Identify and implement new and innovative marketing measurement techniques to drive business growth and optimize marketing spend
- Create clear, compelling presentations that illustrate and communicate research findings, insights, and recommendations
- Develop the monthly marketing review, which is delivered to the company’s executive leadership team.
- Evaluate, recommend, implement, and maintain reporting and analytical tools and strategies
- Create and manage BI strategy and implementation project roadmap, including creating, reviewing, and gaining approvals for programs and projects to deliver Business Intelligence and Analytics technology solutions, which allow the business to fully realize the business value potential of our data, and enable us to build a customer-centric view of the data
- Lead the design and implementation of all projects, from a marketing perspective, in conjunction with the Business Intelligence (BI) team, ensuring that these solutions align with the organization’s strategic direction and technology standards
- Partner with other IT cross-functional directors and managers across database, business intelligence and CRM, and other teams to communicate support expectations and align resources
- Develop a deep knowledge of the company’s data structure and tables
- Analyze and manage critical and dynamic data trends and develop tracking analysis tools
- Other responsibilities could be added in the future including data integration management with data partners such as Experian, Datalogix,
- Support all Data activities including Data Extract, ETL, Data Analysis and Data Modeling
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
- Experience using SQL to query our database, Aster. Able to review data and derive insights. SQL experience is required - if you have it please be sure it's noted as a bullet point within your experience, not just as part of your tech skills summary. Experience with Aster is a plus.
- Experience drawing data driven conclusions from data related to loyalty programs is a plus
- 5 years of experience in Database Management or as a Database Administrator or of related Business Intelligence and Analytics and reporting work experience
- Retail industry experience a plus
- Experience developing BI and Analytics strategy and requirements, including demonstrated success working with senior executives
- Experience implementing solutions using advanced visualization tools and applications (e.g. Tableau, Microstrategy, Adobe Data Workbench, Adobe Analytics etc.)
- Experience in SQL Query and Reporting Tools is required. SQL skills are a must have for this role.
- Experience with CRM databases and applications a plus
- Experience with other analytics platforms, technologies, and languages such as: Netezza, Oracle, SaaS etc. a plus
- Familiarity with data warehousing concepts and technologies
- Proficient with MS Office suite (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to tell stories with data
- Resourceful problem solver with the ability and desire to take charge of projects to drive business results.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment while clearly managing expectations and juggling multiple stakeholders at various levels of seniority
- Strong organizational skills, strong teamwork, attention to detail, and communication skills
- Strong understanding of relational databases with experience in implementing BI solutions on these platforms
- Strong understanding of business intelligence concepts including data analysis, data mining with experience in applying these concepts in data warehouse environments
- Proven ability to deliver insights from large data sets
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.