Retail Communications Specialist
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Retail Communications Specialist
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
As a retail communications specialist, you will act as a gatekeeper for communications distributed to stores and district offices, evaluate feasibility and accuracy of content and timing, and recommend changes to achieve intended results. You will advise business owners on ways to improve communications, and field personnel on using online communications systems, consistently focusing on reducing workload in the stores and raising sales opportunities.
- Monitor and evaluate communications requests and create delivery plans
- Draft and/or edit communications including articles, emails, meeting guides, and training materials
- Update online reference materials, adding or editing content as needed and verifying accuracy
- Develop and maintain intranet pages to support company initiatives
- Create and/or edit daily and monthly store task assignments, interviewing for content as needed
- Train and advise home office employees on effective store communications, as needed
- Prepare, distribute, and analyze surveys of store and field personnel
- Track, analyze, and report on communications and merchandising activities
- Gain insight from mistakes and be open to feedback/change, translating these ideas into actionable steps to consistently deliver results
- Recommend changes to streamline departmental workflow or processes, and improve results
- Act with integrity and trust, promoting our bookselling culture and the core values of Barnes & Noble
- 2-3 years of experience in a retail store setting, Barnes & Noble store management or lead position preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business or communications related major, or comparable experience
- Detail oriented, organized, flexible/able to shift priorities and balance multiple projects simultaneously, while remaining focused and getting things done under tight deadlines
- Write clearly and succinctly to get messages across to others with the desired impact (you will be asked to complete a writing sample)
- Technically savvy and adroit, pick up new technical products quickly
- Excellent collaborative relationship management, able build rapport with all levels of working teams
- Proficient using Microsoft Office and Adobe products
- Possess excellent written, proofreading and editing skills, along with verbal communication skills
- Able to work independently and sit for extended periods of time at a computer
- Comply at all times with the Barnes & Noble standards, policies, code of business conduct and ethics
- Available to travel to various stores and meetings as required
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.