Senior Software Engineer
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will analyze, code, unit test, document and implement complex Java application programs within a timely manner. Perform analysis of projects with users and independently work on individual technical problems. Provide maintenance and production system support. Individual must be well rounded Java and strong SQL developer, knowledgeable in development best practices.
- Transform complex program specifications into code
- Develop unit test plans for programming assignments
- Implement tested programs following standard pilot deployment procedures
- Meet deadlines for assignments
- Handle multiple complex programming and analysis assignments simultaneously
- Adjust to shifts in priorities
- Assist in production system support and issue resolution as requested by Manager and On Call contact
- Develop knowledge of business functions being supported
- At minimum, Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years Java application development experience, with expertise in: Java EE/J2EE, EJB 3.0, JSP, Servlets, JDBC, JMS, JSON, JUNIT, HTML5, XML, Rest, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Expert level of knowledge of SQL including JDBC
- Ability to work collaboratively with the team to brainstorm solutions, demonstrate teamwork and willingness to pitch in as needed, strong interpersonal and effective communication skills
- Personal initiative, self-motivation, and results-oriented work ethic and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Analytical skills, Prioritization skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.