Sr Director of IT Infrastructure
NY-New York (Flatiron)
Barnes & Noble is an innovator in publishing, retail, and digital media, including our award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content. We welcome creative, dedicated, and service-oriented team members who are passionate about being an integral part of our dynamic community and helping it thrive.
Whether your expertise is in retail, merchandising, publishing, marketing, technology, or finance, we have a place for you at Barnes & Noble.
The Director of Infrastructure works at the highest systems level to provide advice and counsel to users, management and IT project teams for systems of the most complex nature. He or She evaluates new technologies and develops departmental standard practices. He or She is recognized as technical leader within the department and organization with emphasis on the Linux environment. He or She provides leadership to staff members on a day to day basis as well as setting quarterly performance goals and conducting quarterly evaluations.
The System Administration responsibilities include end to end responsibility for all the Windows and Linux Server related functions, which include but are not limited to:
- Implementation, operation and support of all UNIX/Linux Server Infrastructure, including IBM AIX, HP UX, Redhat Linux, Centos.
- Implementation, operation and support of VMware, Citrix Xen, KVM, Hyper-V virtualization strategies.
- Implementation, operation and support of enterprise wide DNS, NTP and other services.
- Responsible for providing comprehensive support for implementation, operations and support of all Linux and Unix Server systems.
- Establish and define automated system installation/configuration procedures.
- Maintain System Run Books, defining day-to-day support, maintenance, troubleshooting knowledgebase of the infrastructure.
- Manages off-shore teams to ensure timely execution of tasks.
- Establish performance models and validation techniques.
- Establish best practices for monitoring and forecasting of system/application capacity with integration into enterprise monitoring system.
- Understands storage and backup best practice implementations and works closely with Storage and backup team to have best practice implementation which gives us best results.
- Recommend changes and improvements to the current environment.
- Guides the growth and strategic planning of the team.
- Manages continuous improvement of service delivery, operational practices and support services.
- Drive development of automation, tools and other process efficiencies.
- Recommends team policies consistent with corporate objectives.
- Recommends hardware solutions and negotiates with potential vendors
- Collaborates with engineering on technology lifecycle strategy (current, emerging, sunset) and procurement strategies.
- Maintains the culture and conditions that make service excellence possible and worthwhile.
- Develops operational service metrics with actionable plans to improve operational efficiency, enhance service quality/SLA, & optimize delivery times (value streams optimization).
- Aligns firm’s core value, culture and mission through leadership development in the organization.
- Demonstrates managerial courage to make difficult decision & engage in constructive dialogues.
- Collects, tracks, and analyzes departmental performance data for the purposes of improving operations, forecasting staffing needs and effectively utilizing all available resources.
- Evaluates, counsels, and trains associates to achieve high productivity, professional confidence, work-life balance, and rewards for outstanding performance.
- Responsible for establishing procedures & systems to mitigate risk.
- Coordinates testing and monitor system changes implemented by the organization.
- Oversees all changes and implementation in testing and production with final go / no go decision making authority for team related initiatives and issues.
- Ensures compliance with established industry rules, regulations and best practices.
- Ensures compliance with Barnesandnoble.com LLC. policies and procedures.
- Exercises strong decision making skills and enforce company policies in accordance with applicable regulations and procedures.
- Works directly with contractors for structured cabling and electrical within data center.
- A four (4) year College Degree.
- 7+ years of systems engineering and/or operations experience within a complex environment required.
- Extensive experience of the following:
- Red Hat or Oracle Enterprise Linux Server
- Though this is primarily a strategic role, hands on experience with Unix is required - Linux hands on experience is preferred.
- Experience managing an offshore team in India is preferred.
- Working knowledge with VMware virtualization implementation is must and working experience with Citrix Xen, Hyper-V and KVM is plus.
- SAN Technologies, including IBM V9000, IBM XIV, EMC Isilon, NetApp NAS Filers, EMC VNX.
- X86 hardware architectures.
- High Availability strategies.
- Puppet configuration management.
- Extensive knowledge with data center migration and consolidation utilizing emerging technologies.
- Extensive troubleshooting and performance monitoring skills.
- Skilled in the development or re-engineering of systems and processes.
- Excellent project management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and good presentation skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Should have an understanding of current industry trends and their advantages with ability to right fit into an existing environment.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Some occasional travel to Barnes & Noble, Inc. Distribution Center in Monroe, NJ.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.